Shadow Gods

Tuesday, February 18, 2003

I have always been interested in words. Most of the time I enjoy an economy of phrases. A little string to convey worlds of sentiment, emotion and ocurrences. Let's examine some of my favorites:

"I put the dog to sleep" - I saw a black and white puppy flopping about in the gutter at 6:30 a.m. He was run over by a car, his little spine contorted in painful angles. His rasping breath changed from time to time to a gurgle and a cough, bloody spittle spraying my hands as he made to bite me when I picked him up. I put him in my car and went in search of a vet. At 7 am I arrived at my first vet choice, he was sick for the day so no luck. The nurse told me the injection was in the vet's house and he wasn't authorized to do it. At 8 am I was at the second vet, waiting in line with two other people who had grooming appointments for their pedigreed lap rugs. I had a whining, tear bathed blood gargling baby mutt I desperately wanted dead. The vet took too long and I wandered off to my third vet choice. He appeared at 10:30, informed me that there was nothing to be done for the dog (No Shit!), it would cost me $40 bucks because of the small body weight and that I had to dispose of him myself. Fifteen minutes later, I was carrying a black Glad trash bag with the heaviest 10 pound weight I have ever carried. I dumped it 20 minutes later in the sea. So I guess I put that dog to sleep.

"He passed away" - His best friend confronted him at their meeting place. His best friend thought of his family, threatened to death if he failed at this. My father brought his arms up, unarmed and beseeched him to think about Mother and to let him see his unborn child just one more month due. His best friend understood this but he had a family to think about. So he put a bullet through my dad's chest and another through his head. So I guess I could say that my dad passed away.

"Turn someone away"- Make a girl feel special, so much in fact she conquers her worst phobia just to spend all of 45 minutes with him. After that, lose interest and go after the bigger fish, there are so many of them in the sea. Always keeps his options open, so he smirks a little and winks and does his little dance, keeping the cat entranced with the magical living string. Holds her close as he says goodbye, hugs her tight and for good measure throws in a secret sigh in her ear for her to take home. That's a nice touch you know, an embodiment of feeling and all that shit. He goes back home and forgets everything, but it was so much fucking fun. It is not his problem now that everyday the dagger goes deeper inside, the heart is a resilient muscle that scars, scabs, you pull the scabs and it hasn't healed enough so it starts bleeding again, only the blood is blacker and thicker and there is a pain in the bottom of the throat all the time now, and all you see when you close your eyes is the name of a place in Old English script staining greenish black the palest and softest skin.

I guess I can say I have been turned away. Sometimes I wish I could be put to sleep and pass away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home