Shadow Gods

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Yesterday saw Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" with Popu, a friend I made on the Puertorican forums, usually hanging out at Sin Rumbo. Had a great time, both the movie and the company rocked. I mean, for a guy who has been telling people to go fuck themselves since before I was born, he was what you may call very nice and cool in person. Thanks for the William Gibson book, man! (The Difference Engine, with Bruce Sterling, whoo-hoo!)

The movie was awesome. The main star and the pull of this movie is Jim Carrey. I must say that is the weakest spot in the movie, or better said, the least strong point. Carrey's portrayal of the villainous Count Olaf is over the top, but keeping in mind this is a children's movie, it is understandable. But what a subversive, pretty, surreal ride of a movie. The children were perfect and the little one, Sunny, deserves an Oscar for best unintelligible dialog from a toddler, ever. The story doesn't look down on smart kids, like Spongebob does, and doesn't back off from portraying the series of unfortunate events (and in some cases these events are tragic, not merely unfortunate). The final credits were very well done, summing up the movie in a style reminiscent of Edward Gorey's "Gaskhlycrumb Tinies" (which I believe is the original style of the Lemony Snicket illustrated books), so don't you get up as soon as the End comes up. Thumbs up.

Some people are going on a photographic extravaganza next Sunday, so I will probably spend my last day of vacation getting sunburnt in el Bosque Seco de Guánica (For the uninitated, that is a dry forest, a brief summary is found here).

There seems to be something wrong whenever I try to log in my Hotmail account. Thankfully I can read my e-mails, but 90% of the time, the web page stalls and hangs. It only happens with hotmail. Today I will vegetate and look into this. Don't worry, up til now I have read my e-mails, if in doubt send a copy to my yahoo addy. (mhcotto at yahoo dot com).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home