Shadow Gods

Friday, July 02, 2004

Waiting on two friends to decide what I'll do Sunday. If Friend #1 answers e-mail I am going to San Juan. If not, then I will go with co-workers and see Spiderman.I really want to go to SJ.

After posting about surrealists on the Shocklines board, I dug up Horacio Quiroga from the forgotten texts of high school. Reread some really weird stories of his, the ones that are in the textbooks but teachers usually ignore. I had a funny-weird Spanish lit teacher who gave us university type assignments. In four years I took classes with her, she never taught Spanish grammar. Everything was literature, the girls in my class used to hate it. I loved it and I will always be grateful to her, because now I am unearthing these little subversive jewels I didn't understand then.

What does this have to do with a four hour drive? Well, that is how I get to Borders, the nearest decent bookstore, two hours away. Cortázar, Quiroga, Bécquer, Carlos Fuentes: my grocery list is ready...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home