Shadow Gods

Friday, February 10, 2006

I'm afraid of Americans

Another FBI show of force in Puerto Rico.

A woman and her fucking dog were pepper sprayed. The press was filmed, photographed and pointed at with rifles in Mayagüez; in San Juan, reporters were pepper sprayed. The FBI alleges there are terrorist cells in Puerto Rico. Please. The Macheteros have dedicated the last 20 years to marches and painting murals. The last true Machetero was killed in September 2005, left to die because the FBI says they were afraid the house was rigged. Oh, yeah, sure.

Everybody believes it has something to do with the status. I believe it is the American government's policy of instilling fear on everybody, to make us paranoid and agree blindly to whatever new demand of the citizens the government makes. It is power through fear, keeping us all in line. It worked for a few seconds, even. I am a reporter and have publicly voiced my desire for independence. An ugly combination, for sure. Paranoia is queen, and I have my suspicions, I imagine my political binder must be getting fatter by the minute. Oh well. I won't stay at home anymore when they invite me to political demonstrations. This has awakened an anger at a foreign government who dares to point a gun at my people. Just because they can. I want my country to stay a democracy. I want it to be free of fear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home